Sunday, January 11, 2009

Why is someone else's hymen any of your business?

I was talking with a Muslim friend about a * girl we both know who is in her early 20's. She said "I hope she's a virgin". That kinda took me by surprise! I should have asked her why the hell it was her business, but I think I was kinda shocked by what she said so I didn't. I told her she has a boyfriend so probably not.

She would not have asked that if we had been talking about a guy. Of course not! It's the GIRL'S hymen which is so freaking important! Why is what a girl does everyone else's business, esp. something that's so private? This just kinda burns me up. Even if it's important in YOUR religion, that doesn't mean everyone else in the world has to adhere to what you believe.

Thank goodness I've been married, or she'd be all up in mine too.

* Arabs call any female who hasn't been married a girl, no matter her age. They would consider my sister a girl too, even though she's 42 and been on her own and supported herself since college!

~ A, not muslim anymore ~

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Yasemin said...

This happened pretty often to me too. I'm very glad that I got away from it. Even my very best Christian friends never dared to ask such things. I wanted to add that I really appreciate your voice. As a fellow girl whose not Muslim anymore, I love what your doing. Please visit my blog anytime!

January 14, 2009 at 5:04 PM  
Blogger Sacrifice4Allah said...

I agree with you that someone's private part should not be a subject of speculation.

January 21, 2009 at 5:51 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hi A,

I found your blog through Lisa's and am glad to hear a familiar story through yours.

Looking forward to being an avid follower!

January 23, 2009 at 2:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post - I agree.

I can relate to many things you say.

My Grand parents are Unitarian.

My Dad is a born again Christian

and I married a Muslim . . .

March 3, 2009 at 5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home