Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Turkey in radical revision of Islamic texts

Most of my posts have the link in the title, above. Click the title above(Turkey in radical revision of Islamic texts) to go to the page that has this article.
Turkey is preparing to publish a document that represents a revolutionary reinterpretation of Islam - and a controversial and radical modernisation of the religion.

The country's powerful Department of Religious Affairs has commissioned a team of theologians at Ankara University to carry out a fundamental revision of the Hadith, the second most sacred text in Islam after the Koran...

It says that a significant number of the sayings were never uttered by Muhammad, and even some that were need now to be reinterpreted...

The argument is that Islamic tradition has been gradually hijacked by various - often conservative - cultures, seeking to use the religion for various forms of social control...

According to Fadi Hakura, an expert on Turkey from Chatham House in London, Turkey is doing nothing less than recreating Islam - changing it from a religion whose rules must be obeyed, to one designed to serve the needs of people in a modern secular democracy.

He says that to achieve it, the state is fashioning a new Islam...

Wow, this is a brave step. It would be great if Islam would get more modernized, but the pessimist in me feels that most Muslims won't accept this.

~ ~ ~ ~
A, not muslim anymore

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger M.A. said...

All I can say is, I'm happy I've found a blog such as yours. I am trying to find my way out of Islam after growing up in a VERY conservative family for my entire life. I'm now almost 20 and desperately looking for a way out. However, I too am accepting and secular as you claim to be, so I have the feeling your blog is going to be very interesting for me to read...

March 14, 2008 at 9:46 PM  
Blogger SadButTrue said...

A very interesting post and welcome news to this secularist from the Christian world.

I have one little nit to pick. It would have been nice to have seen a link to your source, particularly considering your last post was a complaint about plagiarism. Even if you got this from print rather than off the internet, you could have at least mentioned where you read it.

April 11, 2008 at 1:55 PM  
Blogger A. said...

sadbuttrue, the link is in the title. Click the title and you get to the page. Sorry I should make that more clear in my post.

An.

April 14, 2008 at 8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home