Saturday, January 12, 2008

Irony of Apostates who leave Islam for no religion

The last thing he says is the first thing I will comment on:

May Allah guide them back to the fold of Islam.

Why can't Muslims see that everyone has their own Path, their own way they want to live their life? There's more to life than Islam!

More idiocy:

The irony is that after they break free, they feel lost. Suddenly, they feel that they have no affiliation to any social group. While they were once part of a Muslim society, they find themselves a nobody after apostasy...

My guess is that such apostates are still living in the past. They have left Islam, yet they want others like them to be around, so that they can share the past, which they decided to leave behind.

Why don't you stop guessing about people you know nothing about?

Apostates who leave Islam without any religion should seriously consider if there really is a need to regroup apostates who have no religion. There are many other friends out there.

We have other friends. I have a multitude of friends, a minority of which are former Muslims. But who else can understand what it is like to deal with issues that only former Muslims deal with? And who else can really know what Islam is like, under all the "Islam is Peace" crap? Only former Muslims.

I don't go around with "former muslim" on my forehead. It is a very small part of who I am. It is a part, because I lived the Muslim life for 14 years, and my kids did too. I don't dwell on it. But I am proud that I left it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A, not muslim anymore

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Cosmic Dancer said...

I wish you all the best - thanks for your comment :)

January 12, 2008 at 5:09 PM  
Blogger A. said...

Thanks Abu Ali, the best to you too!

Anisah.

January 12, 2008 at 5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is the "he" that you are quoting?

January 12, 2008 at 8:39 PM  
Blogger A. said...

H Sofia, click the title of the post to go to the site (Irony of Apostates who leave Islam for no religion)

Anisah

January 12, 2008 at 9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh; found it. I'm not used to the link being in the title, so didn't think of it. I think it's to be expected that many apostates will feel a sense of lost community - that is because they have left their community. The same thing will happen if one moves to another city, or graduates college, or has a baby.

I don't really know what the guy's point is, really. Is he saying "don't leave Islam unless you have a backup religion?" Or is he just trying to discourage apostates from organizing former Muslims?

I just don't have a lot of energy or patience for people like this. Granted, once I left Islam, I didn't feel the need to meet up with other, former Muslims. One, I didn't know any, and two, this was years ago when the Internet wasn't what it is today, so it was hard to find any.

I did end up joining another religious/spiritual community, so maybe that's why. Or maybe I was just ready to move on with my life. And that was after being Muslim my whole life!

January 13, 2008 at 12:17 PM  
Blogger A. said...

H Sofia, I think there may be a difference between apostates that were converts and those were grew up in Islam. Have you found that to be true? Obviously not everyone is the same.

I have no idea what he is saying, maybe he doesn't either lol.

I do go to a UU church (haven't much this winter though), but am active online too. I'm still kinda exploring and finding my path, so who knows where I'll end up. I see you have ended up as an Atheist (or so I gathered from reading your blog). I hadn't read it for a while.

Anisah

January 13, 2008 at 1:39 PM  
Blogger Cosmic Dancer said...

That's a good point Anisah about the loss of community. I think that is the hardest thing for some people to cope with.

I am finding it hard. Not because I cam from a very traditional family or community - but simply because Islam was my life for so long and all my friends were Muslims. I have moved away and feel very isolated and alone sometimes.

January 13, 2008 at 1:50 PM  
Blogger A. said...

Abu Ali,

I was like that at one time (most of my friends being Muslim, and I was married to a Muslim guy), but for the last year in NJ I didn't have many muslim friends. Then I moved to a mid western state, and there are very few Muslims around here and I did not befriend any. It can be hard getting back to being an ordinary American, but for those who grew up in Islam I'm sure it's harder. They can't go back to what they were, they have to forge a totally new identity.

Anisah

January 13, 2008 at 1:53 PM  
Blogger Cosmic Dancer said...

btw thanks for the link to my blog - I have added you too. It would be great to have a sort of web circle of ex-Muslim blogs and sites etc... If you hear of any please let me know.

Abu Ali :)

January 14, 2008 at 9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Abu and A

Have you read these:

http://iraqiatheist.blogspot.com/
http://pakistaniatheist.blogspot.com/
http://nimbu.wordpress.com/
http://isaacschrodinger.typepad.com/
http://apostate.wordpress.com/

My guess is that some of them a young bloggers. But they displays a relaxed relations to their former belief, as far as I've read.

All the best

Tvebak

January 14, 2008 at 6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home