Thursday, November 30, 2006

You Might Already be a Unitarian Universalist

If you...

    * Believe that every person is important and valuable.

    * Feel there is a spiritual value in all the world's religions and philosophies.

    * Find inspiration in the wonder of nature and the mystery of life.

    * Want to help build a just society and peaceful world.

    * Believe we should think for ourselves in our search for meaning.

You might already be a Unitarian Universalist.

This is from a pamphlet I got at church this past Sunday. This kind of thinking is what attracted me to the Unitarian Universalist Church. They let you be smart enough to decide what you believe, not just tell you to believe this or that or you're going to hell. I was in 2 religions that did that. Some UU's don't believe in God, some do. No one is there to tell anyone what to believe. The church I've been going to has a pretty small congregation. There is none in my town, this one is about 20 minutes from me, and there's another one 20 minutes in the other direction in a larger town.

I think that this is from the www.UU.org web site:

"With its historical roots in the Jewish and Christian traditions, Unitarian Universalism is a liberal religion -- that is, a religion that keeps an open mind to the religious questions people have struggled with in all times and places. We believe that personal experience, conscience and reason should be the final authorities in religion, and that in the end religious authority lies not in a book or person or institution, but in ourselves. We are a "non-creedal" religion: we do not ask anyone to subscribe to a creed."

Most churchs or religions don't want you to question things very much, or at least not question what THEY say is right. You have to have "faith", even if things don't make sense. But you can't stop thinking when you are living your life. I am a questioner. I did go a long time in believing in Islam without questioning it, which was a mistake. Sometimes it's hard to question things and admit that you were wrong about what you thought, though. Whatever someone else wants to believe, that's great for them, but don't come to my house trying to convert me. That's why I have an attack cat *grin.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home